The Institut de la statistique du Québec is committed to ensuring the confidentiality of the information provided by its client, whether given in person, by phone, by fax, by mail, by e-mail, or as a user of its website. Client information privacy is protected under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information.
Given the technical particularities of Internet communications, a separate section has been devoted to the terms and conditions set by the Institut to ensure the confidentiality of the information provided by the users of its website. See: Protecting the privacy of our website users.
The information privacy practices of the Institut, aimed at guaranteeing the confidential nature of the information provided by survey respondents, are set down in the section entitled Information for participants.
Use of client information
The Institut uses the information on its clients:
- to conclude sales or deliver products or services;
- to administer its client accounts;
- to announce its product updates;
- to offer its clients products or services likely to interest them; and
- to carry out client satisfaction studies.
The Institut is committed to using the information it collects from its clients solely within the framework of their business relationship. It also undertakes not to sell, distribute or transfer any client information to government departments or agencies, enterprises, establishments, organizations or individuals outside the Institut, or to exchange such information with them, whether for business or other purposes.
Whenever the Institut requests a client for information needed for the sale of a product or the provision of a service, it asks only for the information required for such purpose. The Institut does not collect any personal information on clients without their consent, and this information is not kept longer than three years.
A note concerning information privacy appears on all the order forms and invoices of the Institut de la statistique du Québec.
Right of correction or withdrawal
In addition to guaranteeing client information privacy, the Institut de la statistique allows its clients:
- to obtain a copy of the information the Institut holds on them in their capacity as clients;
- to make changes to their contact information;
- to have their names taken off the lists the Institut uses for promotional purposes or client satisfaction studies; and
- to submit any questions or comments to the Institut regarding its information privacy practices.