Artwork: institutional purchases on the rise in 2013-2014

Québec, October 1, 2015 – In 2013-2014, museum institutions, enterprises that have an art collection, and the six largest municipalities in Québec purchased $16.2 million worth of artwork, more than the annual average of the past five years ($8.5 million). These findings come from the Statistical Survey on Artwork Acquisition conducted by the Observatoire de la culture et des communications du Québec (OCCQ) of the Institut de la statistique du Québec.

A thousand pieces of artwork purchased

The OCCQ survey was conducted for the thirteenth year in a row. In 2013-2014, it focused on artwork purchases by thirty museum institutions, twenty-nine art collecting enterprises and the six largest municipalities in Québec. Among these establishments, 24 purchased a total of 1,070 pieces of artwork. The other establishments surveyed by the OCCQ did not make any purchases in 2013-2014.

Increase in purchases by museum institutions

Museum institutions purchased $3.5 million worth of artwork in 2013-2014. This represents an increase, as the value of purchases by museum institutions was lower in the previous four years. To enlarge their collections, museum institutions rely not only on purchases but also on donated artwork. In 2013-2014, the works of art purchased accounted for 9% of the total value of artwork acquisitions by museum institutions, as the remaining value (91% or $35.5 million) was attributable to donated artwork.

This information comes from the publication Optique culture No. 44, which is available on the OCCQ website.


The Institut de la statistique du Québec produces, analyses and disseminates official, objective and quality statistical information on various aspects of Québec society. It is the statistical coordinator for Québec and the relevance of its work makes it a strategic ally for decision makers and all those wishing to learn more about Québec.

Sources:

  • Christine Routhier
    Phone: 418-691-2411, Ext. 3053

  • Information and Documentation Centre
    Phone: 418-691-2401
    or 1-800-463-4090 (toll free in Canada and the United States)
  • Twitter account: http://twitter.com/statquebec