Québec exports down in April 2016

Québec, June 22, 2016 – Québec’s seasonally adjusted international exports in constant dollars at 2007 prices dropped 4.4% in April 2016 (down 1.9% in Canada). However, the cumulative export volume for the first four months of 2016 was 1.2% above this level for 2015 (up 4.8% in Canada). These figures on international merchandise trade were released today by the Institut de la statistique du Québec.

Fifteen of the top 25 commodity groups exported by Québec posted an increase in April 2016. Electricity had the highest increase, followed by commercial and service industry machinery and diesel. Conversely, aircraft recorded the sharpest drop, followed by pharmaceutical and medicinal products, and unwrought aluminum and aluminum alloys.

Non-seasonally adjusted exports to the United States in constant dollars dropped 11.9% in April 2016 and accounted for 68.5% of Québec exports. Among the top ten commodity groups exported to the United States, electricity and medium and heavy-duty trucks and chassis posted gains. The most significant declines were in aircraft, unwrought aluminum and aluminum alloys, and pharmaceutical and medicinal products.

Exports to Europe were down 23.1% and accounted for 13.1% of Québec exports. The highest increases were posted by measuring and control devices; electrical, medical, scientific and technical instruments; and turbines and turbine generator set units. Conversely, the most significant declines were in aircraft, iron ores and concentrates, and diesel.

Exports to Asia shrank 16.0% and accounted for 9.7% of Québec exports in April. Iron ores and concentrates posted the strongest growth, while aircraft recorded the sharpest decline.

Imports shrank in April

Québec’s seasonally adjusted international merchandise imports in constant dollars at 2007 prices dropped 4.4% in April 2016 (up 1.2% in Canada). The cumulative export volume for the first four months of 2016 was 5.6% below this level for the corresponding months in 2015 (down 2.1% in Canada).

Nine of the top 25 commodity groups imported by Québec posted an increase in April 2016. Light-duty trucks, minivans and SUVs, computers and peripheral equipment, and bauxite and aluminum oxide posted the highest increases. Conversely, motor gasoline recorded the sharpest drop, followed by crude oil, printed and integrated circuits, semiconductors and circuit assemblies.

Non-seasonally adjusted imports from the United States in constant dollars were down 6.4% and accounted for 35.9% of Québec imports in April 2016. The main increases were posted by aircraft, light-duty trucks, minivans and SUVs, and tires. Printed and integrated circuits, semiconductors and circuit assemblies posted the sharpest drop, followed by waste and scrap of non-ferrous metals, and aircraft engines.

Imports from Europe dropped 10.7% and accounted for 25.5% of Québec imports in April. The main increases were posted by motor gasoline, unwrought iron, steel and ferro-alloys, and unwrought precious metals and precious metal alloys. Aircraft parts and other aerospace equipment, passenger cars, and pharmaceutical and medicinal products recorded the sharpest drops.

Imports from Asia held steady in April 2016 and accounted for 22.0% of Québec imports. Passenger cars and household furniture were the main commodity groups that posted an increase, while those that recorded the sharpest decline were aircraft parts, computers and peripheral equipment.

 


The Institut de la statistique du Québec produces, analyzes and disseminates official, objective and quality statistical information on various aspects of Québec society. It is responsible for carrying out all statistical surveys of general interest. The relevance of its work makes it a strategic ally for decision makers and all those wishing to learn more about Québec.

Sources:

  • Karine St-Pierre
    Economist
    Phone: 418-691-2411, Ext. 3096
  • Information and Documentation Centre
    Phone: 418-691-2401
    or 1-800-463-4090 (toll free in Canada and the United States)
  • Twitter account: http://twitter.com/statquebec