There are more and more statistical data on ICT use by enterprises, but relatively few data sources on the use of those technologies by the workers themselves.Dealing with ICT use by all Canadians 15 years of age and over and broaching the use of ICTs in the workplace, the 2000 edition of the General Social Survey (GSS) by Statistics Canada gave an interesting perspective on the question. This analysis was carried out using estimates on Québec workers, which were based on data in this survey. To be more precise, the objectives of the analysis are as follows:
- To take stock of ICT penetration in the workplace. What are the rates of use of computers in the Québec workplace in 2000 by sex, by age group, and by occupation? How do those rates compare with those observed in 1994? To what extent does being in the workplace promote ICT use? Who uses the Internet frequently in the workplace? All these points are discussed in the first chapter of the analysis.
- To study ICT use in the workplace. What is the frequency of use of the computer and Internet by workers in their jobs? What data-processing learning methods are considered particularly useful? What tasks can be carried out with the help of a computer? Have differences been observed between sexes and occupations in that regard? The second chapter is devoted to these subjects.
- To measure the impact of technological changes in the workplace. What proportion of "computerized workers" were given new software or data processing equipment during the past year? Is the introduction of ICT technology an important stress factor for workers? Do they feel that ICT has had a considerable impact on their work over the past five years? If so, what effect does this have with regard to the security and interest aspects of their jobs? These questions are broached in the third and last chapters of the analysis.
The results have been presented with a view to comparing Québec and the rest of Canada. And 2000 data are compared with 1994 and 1989 data when the latter data are available.
- L'utilisation des technologies de l'information et des communications au travail en 2000 (in French only)
- Release date: April 18, 2002