This publication puts into perspective the evolution of Québec’s financial services industry in the Canadian economy. It has recourse to three of the most frequently used economic indicators, i.e. the gross domestic product (GDP), the industry’s employment and net fixed capital stock. These indicators were taken from publications by the Institut de la statistique du Québec pursuant to a services agreement concluded with the ministère des Finances of Québec and with the collaboration of Statistics Canada.
The main subjects broached are:
- the relative importance of the financial services industry in the Canadian economy as well in the most populated provinces;
- the growth trends of the constituent subsectors of the financial services industry;
- the general trend towards the geographic concentration of the Canadian financial services industry and its sectoral expression;
- the effect on the provinces of the use of rationalization and work reorganization measures ensuing from increased computerization of tasks and the mergers and acquisitions in the industry;
- the estimate of interprovincial productivity differences in the financial services industry and its constituent subsectors.
- Portrait statistique de l'évolution récente de l'industrie des services financiers au Québec : comparaison interprovinciale des principaux indicateurs économiques (1.37 MB) (in French only)
- Release date: May 17, 2006